mga kwento at haka-haka ni kakang pepe

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I'm Still Standing

No one is indispensable!

All the while I've known this to be true and in fact factored it on almost all career decisions that I made. I thought I was immune or at least less vulnerable due to nature and scope of my engineering responsibilites, but obviously I was wrong.

Our company is sort of downsizing not because of a slump in the industry but because some of our mature products need to be transferred to Thailand where overall cost is only a fraction compared here in Singapore. Cutting edge and technically challenging products however are here to stay, at least for the time being. For how long? It can be anybody's guess!

It's not really that gloomy as I'm not getting the pink slip yet. I'll just be tranferred to another engineering process. They need someone that can cope with a very steep and short learning curve. This is a seemingly management 'bullshit' at a glance, but humility aside, I know they are right. With just almost a week of handing over years of exposure and techical know-hows, they picked the right guy.

I will cease to supervise a 24/7 motley crew of engineering operators and shed being one of the engineers in one of the bottleneck processes in semicon assembly. My new job will definitely be less stressful and challenging, peanuts compared to what I was doing. In fact my job responsibilities were redistrubuted to 4 other engineers which creased their foreheads.

Anyway, knowing myself to be resilient and adaptable, I'll take this bull by the horn and eventually come out victorious!