mga kwento at haka-haka ni kakang pepe

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Konvicted



I was really hesitant at first to buy Akon's album -- despite the fact that the price seems reasonably low, that my kids were egging me for it and I have heard some of the songs already and quite like it, and somehow I myself was tempted to buy it and rip the content to my mp3 player.

It was the "SINGAPORE SPECIAL EDITION" label that put a chill on my impulse. Reputedly a nanny state, it is expected to trim most of the expletives which would surely affect the music's artistic beauty. The store staff told me that this is not the case this time around. My fear was not really that unfounded and he himself was totally disgusted with what they did with Eminem's album before. To prove his case that this place has come of age, he insisted that I take my time listen to the (whole) album first. I know that wouldn't be necessary. I just picked the song Smack That which featured Eminem and that solidified my resolve to part with my money.

As a parent, of course I wish I could keep this world sterile and do away with all "parental advisory" stuffs. But I know it is next to impossible and would even be detrimental with my kids development and maturity. The best that I can do is walk through life with them, which in this case, immersed to their music, and hopefully help them distinguished what's good and evil and apply them to real world.