mga kwento at haka-haka ni kakang pepe

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Money for Nothing, Books for Free

If your eyes happen to stray on my humble sidebar from time to time, you may have noticed that I'm starting to read Murder in the Name of God: The Plot to Kill Yitzhak Rabin. I don't intend to bore you even with synopsis, though I'm expecting this to be a good one.

Reading is a habit I immerse myself only recently. I'm fully aware of the beauty of reading long before. It's just that neither I had the money nor the creativity and patience to acquire books when I was much younger. Besides, I busied myself doing despicable things (which I may or may not blog at all). Believe me, the ghetto I grew up had so much activities it would make you feel that reading is a waste of time. In retrospect, I know I should had known better.

I have to admit that public libraries here in Singapore are first-rate, at least compared to my beloved abode. Affluence bliss! For a one-time fee of S$10, I can borrow-- for the whole of my earthly existence-- 4 books or magazines for 3 weeks in any of their state-of-the-art libraries strategically located on the island republic. Borrowing and returning books are practically hassle-free without the assistance of the librarian.

I know for a fact that most bloggers are prolific readers. I would be grateful if you could recommend some good reads.