mga kwento at haka-haka ni kakang pepe

Thursday, September 30, 2004

ASTIGMATISM

Alex D' Great I'm still trying to get grip with the fact that Alex, my 2nd child who will be in primary 1 next year, has to wear prescriptive glasses because of astigmatism. A condition wherein the cornea is oval and not spherical, and thus, creating more than one focal point, resulting in blurred vision at distance or near.

I guess parents like me would understand how I'm feeling right now. We are all hoping that our kids to lead normal (superior would be most welcome) lives. A slight deviation, no matter how trivial, no matter how rectifiable, is a source of anxiety.

The condition was first diagnosed when he was in kindergarten 1. Last year we were still in denial, that since me and my wife have 20/20 visions, it's not possible the he could have it. Maybe the diagnosis was wrong. We ignored the idea of getting him the prescribed glasses.

Then came this year; it was the same thing, and I'm beginning to notice that indeed, something is wrong with my kiddo's eyesight. It broke my heart seeing my son grapple with figures otherwise crystal clear to me. How I wish the condition is transferable. I would be more than grateful to trade places with him.

Here in Singapore, it is compulsary for a child to have eye check up in school once a year--it's free, by the way. They recognized the fact that eye problem can hinder the child's learning progress, besides the fact that the condition may worsen if left unchecked.

LASIK , a surgical procedure intended to reduce a person's dependency on glasses or contact lenses, is available here and in the neighboring Malaysia. We just have to wait till he is 21, by then, spherical deformation has stabilized and this permanent solution is applicable.